Posted On May 9, 2023
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves (or one garlic clove and one shallot)
- 3 slices of white bread
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider or sherry vinegar
- Garnishes of choice (see below for suggestions)
- In a saucepan, boil 8 cups of water.
- To remove skins from tomatoes, make a cross with a knife on the bottom of each tomato then place them in the boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove tomatoes from water and peel and quarter the tomatoes, then put them in a blender.
- Add the garlic cloves.
- Next briefly soak the bread in water for a few seconds, to get it soft enough to squeeze it through your hands and add it to the blender.
- Purée until smooth, about 3 minutes depending on your blender.
- Then oil, salt, and vinegar and puree for another 15 to 20 seconds. Put soup in a container that can be covered with a lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When serving garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh herbs of choice, diced ham, bacon or prosciutto, or hard-boiled eggs, chopped onion or a crostini or crouton.
(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)