- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried barley or 2 ounces pasta noodles
- 2 cups cooked, diced turkey
- ¾ to 1 cup corn, frozen and thawed
- 1 large russet potato size, diced, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen or 2 cups fresh green veggie of choice: such as kale, spinach, broccoli, green beans
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and cook until onion becomes slightly softened and garlic becomes fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, and celery, saute for another 1 minute.
- Add broth, barley or pasta, turkey, potato, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Mix everything together and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes if using barley. And if using another pasta let soup develop flavors on simmer for approximately 20 minutes and then add in the pasta based on time amount it needs to cook.
- Then add in corn and spinach.
- If the soup starts to get too thick, you can mix in some more broth or water. If it’s too thin, continue cooking uncovered for a bit longer until liquid is reduced.
- Discard bay leaves and adjust seasonings to taste.
Play with Your Food
- Add in a tablespoon of tomato paste
- Add in some fresh herbs or dried Italian seasonings.
- Add in some other veggies of choice.
- Leave grain out of soup and serve with a hearty piece of bread.
(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)